Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The Origin for Honesty Bond

 In 1982 I ran for State Senate as a candidate of the Libertarian Party of California.  At the time, I was also Southern California Vice Chair.  

The 20th State Senate Seat was then occupied by Alan Robbins, who instead of putting out campaign literature, sent pot holders with his name printed on them.  I have accumulated several of these, as they were free and useful.  But it both aggravated and amused me that Robbins did not say anything substantial about what he was actually doing while occupying the position to which someone, certainly not me, had elected him.  

Then, in 1991 Robbins was indicted, and pleaded guilty to federal racketeering and income tax evasion charges in connection with the Shrimpscam scandal, and was sentenced to five years in federal prison on May 2, 1991. On November 20, 1991, Robbins resigned from the California State Senate.  This was a Federal crime, and reports trickled in on the scandal.

Robbins pleaded guilty to the charge of federal racketeering and income tax evasion in connection with the Shrimpscam scandal, See Wiki.  and was sentenced to five years in federal prison on May 2, 1992.

Robbins was incarcerated in the federal prison in Lompoc, California, but was released after 18 months. After being released from the federal prison, he spent another two months in a half-way house.

By that time, I was living in North Hills, but the Robbins Pot Holder, had come along with me. 

This gave me to think about what could be done about ensuring elected officials were honest.  That is where the idea for Honesty Bond originated.  I put together the plan, and then a registered Republican and active in the National Federation of Republican Women, wrote up the idea and took literature and several large banners about the plan to the Republican Convention in 1992.  

By then, I had moved to Santa Barbara.  

That was where it started.  

But I made the mistake of handing a piece of the literature to John Fund, I had known Fund when he was newly active in the Libertarian Party years before, in fact, we had helped him on his expenses for the internship he had with Evans and Novak.  Novak recommended Fund for a job at the Wall Street Journal, leaving California behind him.  

The brochure I handed the formerly starving Fund was handed over to Newt Gingrich, one of his comrades in NeoConism and became what you know today as the Contract With America. But in Fund and Newt's NeoCon version, all accountability had been eliminated. 

I did not realize this until my daughter, Morgan Pillsbury Gell informed me of this, while we were still talking.  Fund and Morgan would start a sexual relationship on October 26, 1998 at a conference in New York while Morgan was on her way to England and Paris with my estranged husband, who also had designs on her.

You can get more on these stories at RuthlessPeople.info and TheNeoConningofAmerica.com

So, that is the story.  Here, I continue to promote the idea of accountability for those in politics, and, naturally, all other parts of our lives.   


 

No comments: